Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vocabulary...with Garfield???


I have always told my kids that when they're reading and they come across a word they don't know to jot it down and look it up.  I told them it will build their vocabulary and help them to understand the story better.  I figured it was just one of those things that goes in one ear and out the other.  I seriously didn't think either of them (as much as I hoped they would) would take the time and effort to do that.

But...today I noticed Jared getting out the dictionary, which isn't a usual thing for him to do.  I was in the middle of something so I didn't give it much thought.  Later in the day I saw it sitting on the table next to the books he was reading along with some other stuff.  I thought it probably was being used as a good Tech Deck ramp or something but decided to ask him why it was out.

"Oh, because I saw this when I was reading."  He begins flipping through his all time favorite comic, Garfield, searching for the exact page.

"I saw a word...this one", he says, pointing to the word 'cynic'. "I didn't know what it meant."

So I asked him what he found out it meant.  He still wasn't sure because he couldn't understand the definition.  (I hate it when you look up a word and can't understand the definition either! Ha.)

We looked up the word together and I explained what it meant. "OHHHH...I get it," he said. 

It was a proud mama moment that I just had to share.  It always feels good when your kid puts into action the things you've taught them!

No comments:

Post a Comment