Thursday, September 20, 2012

Hot Air Balloon and A Read Aloud

As we were wrapping up our school day I glanced out the window and this is what I saw:


 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm not fond of flying in airplanes...but a hot air balloon ride is definitely on my bucket list.  I can only imagine the view from up there. 
 
We are wrapping up our second week of school and things are going smoothly, *knocking on wood, crossing fingers and toes*.  Our Homeschool Co-op started this week, which adds a nice diversion to the week.  The kids are both taking classes.  Jared's classes are botany, PE and writing.  Jenna's classes are general science, speech and the great artists.  It was nice to see some friends that they made last semester, and even nicer that our friends over at Absolute Hodgepodge joined up with us there.
 
One of our read alouds with Sonlight, The Golden Goblet has become a highlight of our day.  I love the books Sonlight chooses for their history & literature!  Jared and I usually save our read alouds for last and we can't wait to curl up and read together.  Not only are we learning but creating warm, lasting memories.  We came across this poem the other day which pretty much sums up the cozy, warm feeling of reading a good book together.
 
When Mother Reads Aloud
 
When Mother reads aloud, the past
Seems real as every day;
I hear the tramp of armies vast,
I see the spears and lances cast,
I join the trilling fray;
Brave knights and ladies fair and proud
I meet when Mother reads aloud.
 
When Mother reads aloud, far lands
Seem very near and true;
I cross the desert's gleaming sands,
Or hunt the jungles's prowling bands,
Or sail the ocean blue.
Far heights, whose peaks the cold mists shroud,
 
When Mother reads aloud, I long
For noble deeds to do--
To help the right, redress the wrong;
It seems so easy to be strong,
So simple to be true.
Oh, thick and fast the visions crowd
My eyes, when Mother reads aloud.
 
 


Jared read that one aloud to me.  When he finished and closed the book, he had a smile on his face because he could relate so much to that poem.  I'm so thankful to have the privledge to be home with my kids!  Not every day is roses and sunshine, but days like these make every struggle and hard work all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment